What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident
Before you’ve been involved in an accident on your bike, you should know in advance what to do after a motorcycle accident. You’d likely be confused, frustrated, injured, and doing your best to keep it together so that you can stay on top of things.
Between the time you’ll need to spend away from your job, the pain you’re experiencing as a result of the accident, and the inevitable medical bills that will start to accumulate, you’re probably feeling a bit overwhelmed with the situation.
You need help to set the record straight and get your life back on track. At Frank Penney Injury Lawyers, we care about you and your future. Don’t let an accident derail your life forever. We put together a list of steps so that you know exactly what to do in a motorcycle crash.
What to Do In a Motorcycle Crash
When a motorcycle crash takes place, you’re likely to be in shock initially. No one sets out thinking they’ll get into an accident on their bike, but the unfortunate truth is that these accidents happen quite frequently, causing serious injuries and fatalities each and every year.
While riding a motorcycle can certainly be a thrilling adventure and a way of life for many, there are certain dangers to be aware of, which is why it’s also important to understand what to do in the case of an accident.
Even though you may be in shock and adrenaline is pulsing throughout your body, if possible, remain as calm as possible and follow these steps:
- Get Out of the Road: If you are able to move, the first thing you’ll want to do is make sure you aren’t in any additional danger by remaining on the road. Get up and move to safety, away from oncoming traffic.
- Call 9-1-1 to get the emergency medical help you need on the scene as soon as possible.
- Wait for paramedics to arrive, keeping your helmet and gear intact if possible. Neck and spine injuries are common with motorcycle accidents, wait until professional help is available to ensure no further damage is done.
- Get medical attention even if you feel as though you are unharmed. Sometimes serious injuries are not immediately identifiable. Often, it isn’t until your body calms down, the adrenaline wearing off, that the pain and severity of an accident are felt on your body. Due to the nature of the accident, it’s incredibly common for organ damage and internal bleeding to occur from the blunt force of the crash directly on the body.
- Contact a dedicated motorcycle accident lawyer to arrange for the representation and legal advice you’ll need moving forward. It’s important to do this before the next step….
- Contact your insurance company to report the accident. Additionally, be sure you understand your policy and coverage when it comes to a motorcycle accident.
- If another party is involved in the incident, be sure to collect their insurance information as well.
- Request a copy of the accident report from the first responders on the scene to save for your documents.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Most motorcycle accidents involve single motor vehicles, however, the following are additional causes of accidents on a bike:
Unsafe Lane Changes
This occurs when a driver collides with a motorcyclist when he or she fails to properly check his or her blind spot when switching lanes.
Speeding is a leading cause of all types of accidents on the road. When a motorist is going too fast, they reduce their ability to stop for things like a motorcycle on the road.
Accidents can occur when a driver makes a sudden or abrupt stop. These rear-end accidents can cause serious injury or death to motorcycle riders.
Dangerous Road Conditions
Potholes, the pavement in disrepair, debris on the road, or lack of signage can all increase the likelihood of dangerous motorcycle accidents due to loss of control of the machine.
A poorly designed or improperly maintained bike can present danger when the motorcyclist is on the road.
Seeking Legal Help From an Experienced Motorcycle Lawyer
When you’re injured in a motorcycle accident, it can feel confusing. You may not understand your rights, your insurance coverage, or your options. This is why it’s always in your best interest to contact a personal injury lawyer like the ones at Frank Penney Injury Lawyers immediately following the crash.
Our dedicated attorneys will investigate your accident to the fullest extent and uncover any relevant facts that could support your case and determine liability. We leave no stone unturned and are relentlessly in your corner, working hard to get you the settlement you deserve.
Additionally, as your motorcycle accident lawyer, we will also handle the communication and negotiation with the involved insurance companies to fight for your rights and for fair compensation for your injuries, pain and suffering, and damaged property.
When it comes to a motorcycle accident caused by another party, you shouldn’t have to suffer the additional burden of financial stress due to another party’s actions. As the victim of an accident, your only concern should be to do what’s necessary to heal your body and recover your life.
Get in touch with us today to schedule your free consultation.