About ‘Slip and Fall’ Cases
“Slip and fall” accidents are situations where a person is injured by slipping, tripping, and falling due to a dangerous condition on a premise. These falls can take place both indoors and outdoors and can result from weather, bad flooring, wet floors, poorly lighted steps, or hidden patches. Icy patches, a crack in a sidewalk, or potholes are also factors that can cause serious fatalities. These injuries are far too common. Many times, they are caused by the negligence of another person or persons.
There Are Four General Types of Slip and Fall Accidents:
- Trip-and-fall, where there is a foreign object in the walking path
- Stump-and-fall, where there is an impediment in the walking surface
- Step-and-fall, where there is an unexpected failure or hole in the walking surface
Slip-and-fall, in which the interface of the shoe and the floor fails
Is the Property Owner Liable for Your Slip and Fall Accident?
That depends. A victim would have to prove the following in order to hold the property owner responsible and have a premises liability case:
- The property owner caused the unsafe condition and the subsequent injury (by spilling something and not cleaning it up, by digging a hard-to-spot hole in a heavily trafficked area, etc.)
- The property owner knew about the condition but did not try to correct it (by not posting a sign on uneven ground, etc.)
- The property owner should have known about the danger, because a “reasonable” person would have found the problem and taken steps to prevent injuries caused by the slip and fall incident (This is the most common situation, as it is not clearly defined and is determined based on common sense)
Contacting an Attorney
It is important to know what to do to protect the legal rights of yourself and your loved ones. Selecting a personal injury lawyer is an important decision. You should choose someone who is experienced, aggressive, and dedicated to working to get fair compensation for your accident. We have successfully handled thousands of personal injury cases, which is why you should contact Sacramento personal injury lawyer Frank D. Penney.