In recent years, the popularity of motor scooters surged into a cultural norm: Vespas, mopeds and other electric scooter sales increased by 50% in 2011, according to the Motorcycle Industry Council. Whether young or old, individuals of all ages and backgrounds turn to motor scooters as a fun and efficient way to cruise around town. Low environmental impact, lowered vehicle costs, reduction of carbon footprint, and easier parking are just some benefits to owning a scooter. As mentioned, the advantages of owning a scooter can be great. However, the dangers of riding one can outweigh the benefits if safety precautions are ignored. According to the National Highway Traffic & Safety Administration, scooter drivers are 35 times more prone to death than regular car drivers.
Motor Scooter Safety Tips:
Though there is risk involved in owning and riding a scooter, there are a number of measures you can take to prevent injuries and accidents on your scooter. Because of the nature of the vehicle, riding a scooter requires more caution than riding a car. Sacramento auto accident attorney Frank Penney recommends taking the following precautions before and during your scooter ride:
- Pay close attention to your riding behavior on the road. Pass vehicles cautiously, drive defensively, and always be on the lookout for debris, potholes and other disruptions on the road
- Take into consideration car and truck driver’s perspectives: Can they see you? Are you in their blind spot? Keep yourself as visible as possible to others on the road
- Take a scooter safety course. There are always more facts and motor scooter safety tips to be learned and practiced
- The right motor scooter safety gear can make a world of difference. Always be sure to wear:
- A helmet
- Protective eyewear
- Hand gloves
- Knee and elbow pads
- Reflective clothing for day and night
- Sturdy, protective shoes
Making the effort to actually put these safety precautions into play will greatly reduce your chance of injury or death. But as we all know, the road holds unexpected dangers for drivers of all types of vehicles. In the case that you or a loved one have been injured in a motor scooter incident, contact us to take legal action immediately.