After an accident, many people wonder how to choose a personal injury lawyer. If you or someone close to you has been involved in an auto collision, slip-and-fall, or wrongful death, your life has been impacted. The laws of California may provide you compensation and $$$ damages if you have been wrongfully injured or hurt.
Insurance companies run a business and lose money every time they a pay a settlement, including yours. They are well versed in ways to minimize how much they pay you. A personal injury iawyer can help you attain the maximum amount of damages you are legally entitled to receive. Hiring a personal injury lawyer does not come with a guarantee of money. Learning when to get a personal injury lawyer can be the first step to recovery.
When to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer
Strongly consider hiring a personal injury lawyer if:
- You have sustained injuries in an automobile accident;
- Your symptoms are getting worse as time goes on (emblematic of whiplash);
- Opposing insurance is pressuring you to take a settlement offer without telling you in detail how they arrived at the settlement amount;
- You were involved in an auto accident involving more than 2 cars;
- Opposing insurance is claiming you are at fault;
- The driver who hit you was driving under the influence of alcohol or other drugs;
- One of the injured parties was a child;
- Your injuries are the type that you may incur future medical bills;
- If you are in California and it is coming up on 2 years from the date of the accident;
- You were injured by a government employee or officer;
- You were injured by a minor or someone without insurance;
- You have photographs of the accident and your injuries;
- You do not have income to pay medical costs up front;
- You feel you deserve to be treated better by the insurance companies than you are currently being treated.
If you are unsure as to whether to hire a lawyer, most personal injury attorneys, including the Law Offices of Frank Penney (916)788-1960, offer free consultations and can discuss with you whether you would benefit from a hiring a personal injury lawyer.
When Not to Hire A Personal Injury
A personal injury will not add value to your case if you have not sustained injuries or noticeable impact damage to your vehicle. If, for example, your car was scratched by another vehicle but sustained no impact and you were not injured, a personal injury would likely not be able to add value to your case. As mentioned before, calling a personal injury lawyer is sometimes free and you can call to determine if hiring an attorney is best for you.
How to Choose a Personal Injury Lawyer: What to Look For
In choosing a personal injury lawyer be sure to hire an attorney who specializes in personal injury. Like other areas of law, personal injury can be highly technical and complex. In addition, specialized firms often have private investigators on staff, who can rush to the scene of your accident and preserve evidence which can increase your settlement amount.
Hiring a personal injury attorney that focuses only on personal injury will ensure that you pursue all legal remedies which the law entitles you to.
When is the Best Time to Hire a Personal Injury
If you have been injured call an attorney immediately and discuss your case. In California for adults there is a two year statute of limitations which means that you cannot pursue a claim more than two years after the date of the accident. In addition to the statute, hiring a personal injury lawyer immediately can help preserve evidence, get you into the right medical providers, and help you navigate through the process of receiving treatment.
If you have been injured in an accident, begin the healing process by considering hiring a personal injury attorney.